We're a ten year old and a five year old famously known as E squared. Please help us gain some parenting instruction for our Mom who's at least insightful enough to start a therapy fund for us.



Sunday, February 3, 2013

Now that I'm Five -- lil e

I've discovered a five year old mind is a bit smarter, more persuasive when you are only four.  While it's a bit hard to explain let me illustrate using examples.

Four year old mind:
M: Elisha we don't jump on the couch.
E:  How can you see me?  I wasn't 'cause you can't see me. 
M:  I can see everything.  We don't jump on the furniture.
E:  Why not?  I'm not hurting anything.  I'm not breaking anything.  This seems like a good idea.
M:  Don't argue with me.  What do you say?
E:  Oh mom.  Why not?
M:  Do you want a time out?
E:  No.  Okay. (sigh) Yes, Mom.  I won't jump on the furniture.

As a five year old:
M: Tell me why jumping from the table to the bean bag isn't okay.
E:  Pause before talking. What are you talking about?  It's okay.  It's fun.  I feel like I'm flying.  Um. 
                    Um.  Because I could hurt the bean bag?
M:  Very good.  That's right.
E:  But Mom.  It isn't going to pop.  It has room in it and it won't pop.  Do you want me to show you?
M:  Listen.  Are we supposed to even get up on the table?
E:  No.
M:  Do we put our feet on the table?
E:  No.  So can I put it at the bottom of the stairs?  I won't be on the table.
M:  Go find something else to play.  I don't want you jumping on the bean bag.
E:  There is nothing else to play.
M:  Then you need to go into your room until you come up with something.
E:  Oh, Mom.  I just thought of something.  I'm going to look in the garbage to see if I can make a new invention so I can throw it down the stairs with a napkin parachute.

I can definitely see five has it's advantages.

Later,

lil e

No comments:

Post a Comment